Money Saving Tip: Coins and Spare Change

What do you do with your spare change / coins?

We all have  tendencies to treat spare change and coins as unwanted money.  As a result, we sometimes do not care about them and readily spend or give them away.  Here's a money saving tip for you: Change your habit and save every penny!  

In order to help you with this, try carrying a coin purse wherever you go.  If you don't have one, buy!  Trust me when I say you'll be able to save back that money in no time.  Next, try putting a piggy bank by your bedside where you usually put your cellphones and wallets at the end of the day.  If you don't have a piggy bank, use an old mug or any jar to hold your coins.  The moment I started doing this, I was a bit shocked when I realized that every month, my spare change amounted to around 500 to 600 pesos!  That's equivalent to a week's lunch money or car gasoline.

You can also use your spare change to pay your taxi fare.  Especially in Manila, taxi cabs do not give out change.  If the taxi meter reads 55 pesos and you gave 70 pesos to the driver, consider your 15 pesos gone!  Imagine that.  You could have used that 15 pesos for something else.  In Cebu and Davao, taxi cabs are more than willing to give out change. 

Have articles sent to your Email for FREE. Subscribe by Email

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Related Articles:



 

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous said,

    i didn't know about the taxi thing in manila. 15php is still a lot! taxi drivers here do give change but not to the last cent. and almost always it's not automatic for them to give you your change, you have to sit and wait and ask for it (if the change are coins).

    on May 17, 2009 at 12:57 PM  


  2. Sun Jun said,

    Hi baberose ^^

    based on my experience, manila taxi is that way. But I guess, due to the traffic congestion in manila, it would be justifiable to give a little extra as well.

    15 pesos is a lot nga lang.
    usually it's less than 10. pero if you don't have small bills, you can end up paying more.

    on May 17, 2009 at 4:59 PM  


  3. Either put it all in wallet or save it all in a piggy bank. I love having a coin purse it saved me from using my bills dozens of times but sometime they are too bulky and heavy so I opted to have my own coin bank. Unfortunately, my lil bro like to get some of my coins so my piggy bank never really gets full.

    on April 26, 2011 at 12:37 PM  


  4. hahaha ^^ that's nice of you to share your piggy bank with your little brother Nikolaos. You might want to get a separate one with a lock or the one where in you need to break just to get to the money - this way you might see it full someday ^^

    on April 26, 2011 at 1:47 PM