Money Saving Tip: Buying in Bulk!



I am a Money Magnet! We are Money Magnets!

It is a known personal finance law that buying in bulk allows the consumers to save more!  Buying in bulk allows the producers to save in packaging cost and the volume purchase entitles the consumers to a certain discount.  This normally holds true but look what I found at a local supermarket!  I'm beginning to think that this concept may not hold true everywhere.  



The last time I was in the supermarket, I was looking for brown sugar.  I normally purchase the 1 kilo packs at 25 pesos per pack.  On that shocking day, all the 1 kilo packs were sold out and what was left on the rack were only 1/2 kilo packs.  Since I had no choice, I hesitantly purchased the 1/2 kilo packs knowing that they may cost more than the 1 kilo packs.  I expected the 1/2 kilo packs to be selling at at around 12.50 - 13.00 pesos per pack.  To my surprise when the cashier punched the item on the register, the amount displayed was only 12.00 pesos!  My first reaction was "how can that be?!".  I simply didn't comprehend how buying smaller packs can be cheaper than bigger packs.  Buying the 1/2 kilo packs allows me to save 1 peso per kilogram of sugar!  This is quite significant for me because I normally average around 20 kilograms of brown sugar every month.  I use the sugar in making brownies and cupcakes which I sell for a profit.

Well, now I know better and you know better as well.  Sometimes, it pays to check the prices of similar items in different sizes. 

Get your free email updates.  Subscribe here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Related Articles:



 

5 comments:

  1. Buy in bulk but buy only what you can eat and eat what you buy.

    on June 24, 2009 at 9:33 AM  


  2. @Millionaire Acts

    Yup, we shouldn't be wasteful. ^^ We should prepare to consume what we buy. This can be food or some other item.

    on June 24, 2009 at 10:01 AM  


  3. Snowq said,

    I agree, mas nakakasave kapag madami binili yun nga lang napapadami ang kain.

    By the way, have you already voted for the Top 10 Emerging Influential Blogs of 2009 at http://influentialblogger.net?

    If not, I would like to promote my blog http://dearbloggery.com in your Top 10 list. I blog about the news, the bloggers, commentaries and everything in between.

    If you have time, please visit my blog too!

    Sincerely yours,

    Snow
    http://dearbloggery.com

    on June 27, 2009 at 2:12 PM  


  4. Hi Snowq!

    Thanks for dropping by my site!

    Unfortunately, I'm not participating in this year's Top 10 Influential blogs contests. good luck to you and your site!

    BTW, my article actually encourages the buyers to check the prices because it seems like more volume (bulk) doesn't necessarily translate to more savings here in the Philippines.

    Take care.

    on June 28, 2009 at 1:09 AM  


  5. Hej killar, tack för denna intressanta artikel.
    Om du vill läsa mer om fördelarna med Spara i Fonder Tips detta är rätt plats för dig!

    on March 30, 2017 at 5:53 PM